I was searching through Pinterest looking for an easy delicious romantic dinner for Valentines Day when I came across a recipe for Chicken with a Mustard Cream Sauce by Nicole Morrissey at Prevention RD. I had seen several pictures scanning Pinterest in the past, and decided I really should give this a shot. I had all the ingredients but the mustard on hand so I thought what the hell, I’d give it a try.
My version is a bit different but the concept is, in general, the same as Nicoles.
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast – 4
- Salt & Pepper – To taste
- Minced Garlic – 1 tbsp
- Season Salt – 1 tbsp
- Dijon Mustard – 1 tbsp
- Low Sodium Chicken Broth – 1/2 c
- Heavy Whipping Cream – 1 c
- Oregano – 1/2 tbsp
- Salt & Pepper – To taste
- Garlic Powder – 1/2 tbsp
Preheat oven to 425º. Preparing the chicken is very easy. Start by adding oil and garlic to your favorite frying pan at medium heat. I prefer to trim the fat off my chicken breast and give a good rinse under cold water. Season both sides of the chicken breast with salt, pepper and seasoning salt.
Add the chicken to the heated oil and garlic for 5 minutes before flipping for another 4-5 minutes. This is going to give the chicken a nice charred look and texture. You could also skip this step and prepare my Lazy Baked Chicken . Either would be delicious. What really makes this recipe is the sauce.
Once the chicken is a nice golden crisp color transfer to a glass baking dish and cover with tinfoil. Bake at 425º for 15 – 20 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165ºF. I am real sketchy about chicken in general so I always make sure to check my chicken with a thermometer similar to this SINARDO Roasting Meat Thermometer available on Amazon.
Now on to the sauce! After following the directions, I made a bit of an error and eyeballed how much oregano I thought I needed. Boy, was I way wrong. I overshot the oregano, which resulted in me creating some revisions to make this suit our tastes a bit better.
I used the same pan I fried the chicken in to add some additional flavor profiles, like the minced garlic I added to the oil when I fried the chicken. I started with adding the chicken broth to the pan until a slight simmer. Once the broth was simmering I added the heavy whipping cream along with the dijon mustard. Once the cream and dijon mustard were incorporated with the broth I added the parmesan cheese, stir until the cheese has melted. Add the oregano and garlic powder. Salt and pepper to taste.
Remove your chicken from the oven. Once plated, spoon the sauce over the chicken. This sauce would be delicious spooned over additional items such as asparagus or green beans. Enjoy!
- Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- In a medium, pan add oil and garlic at medium heat.
- Season chicken with salt, pepper and season salt.
- Add chicken to pan for 4-5 minutes per side.
- Move the chicken to a glass baking dish.
- Cover with tinfoil and bake for 15 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165ºF.
- Remove and top with the creamy mustard sauce.
- Add chicken broth to the pan previously used for the chicken.
- Bring to a simmer with the garlic.
- Add the heavy whipping cream along with the dijon mustard.
- Stir until well incorporated.
- Add parmesan cheese.
- Stir until cheese is melted.
- Add oregano and garlic powder.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon over chicken and veggies.
To see more recipes from Stella and Jay click here: Recipes
-Stella & Jay