I have always loved Veggie pizza. If you’ve never seen or tried this style of pizza appetizer you are so very much missing out. I couldn’t even tell you the first time I tried one. I remember as a child someone would always bring this appetizer to some function or another from reunions to game night get-togethers.
Both of my younger sisters have Celiac Disease and I’ve tried to be as creative as possible in bringing shared dishes to family functions so they have additional options to choose from other than what they brought to share.
This Christmas each of us was to bring an appetizer or two. I was nominated to bring Bacon Wrapped Water Chestnuts (this is divine and always requested that someone bring it). I also wanted to bring another dish to share as well. We have a pretty large family. Our get-togethers have been known to last from several hours to entire weekends, so the more food the better off we are. I wanted to try a Gluten Free version of Veggie Pizza. I was not disappointed.
I’ve been wanting to get back on the Keto train for a while now. A few months back I made Fat Head Pizza Fries. Stella loved them, but I was a bit more skeptical. I felt they had an odd taste and I really think I had my measurements wrong. Turns out after creating this tasty dish I was using entirely too much coconut flour.
I had no idea that you need less coconut flour if you were subbing in place of almond flour which I will always do as there is a significant price difference.
I spent some time watching YouTube Videos and came across this Low Carb BAGEL BATTLE – The BEST Keto Bagels Recipe! I really wanted to watch how this dough was made.
After watching Highfalutin’ Low Carb try out both Almond and Coconut dough and his recommendation that the coconut actually turned out better I was beyond happy! Since I had everything I needed to give this a go, I decided to do a test run and I was NOT disappointed.
Based on his recommendation I clicked on the link that took me to the winning recipe created by Low Carb Yum. I did follow her directions as best I could. I do not have a scale and my baking skills are something to be desired. I am terrible at making sure I have the exact measurements so I was hoping that I could come close enough. I have listed the ingredients I used from Low Carb Yum’s recipe.
Dough Ingredients from Low Carb Yum:
- Shredded Mozzarella – 2 1/2 Cup
- Eggs – 3 Large
- Coconut Flour – 1/2 Cup
- Cream Cheese – 2 ounces
- Butter – 2 tbsp (melted)
- Baking Powder – 2 tbsp
- Combine Coconut Flour and Baking Powder.
- In a microwave safe bowl add mozzarella cheese and cream cheese.
- Microwave for 1 minute, stir.
- Microwave for an additional minute.
- Stir until the cheese is combined.
- Add melted butter to the large bowl.
- Slightly whip the eggs and add to melted cheese mix.
- Add Coconut Flour and Baking powder.
- Stir ingredients until a sticky dough forms.
- After the ingredients were mostly formed I stuck my hands in like meatloaf to really “knead” the dough into the shape and consistency that I wanted.
- Once your ingredients are mixed well remove from bowl and place between two pieces of parchment paper.
- Roll to desired thickness.
- Place rolled dough on parchment paper on a cookie sheet.
- Bake at 400º for 12 minutes.
- I checked frequently to make sure I was not burning my dough.
- Remove from oven rest for a few minutes.
Pizza Topping Ingredients:
- Cream Cheese – 2 Bricks
- Ranch Packet – 1
- Broccoli – 1 Cup
- Carrots – 1 Cup
- Cauliflower – 1 Cup
- Red Peppers – 1/2 Cup
- Green Peppers – 1/2 Cup
- Fresh Dill – 1/4 Cup
The pizza ingredients are very flexible. I would have preferred onion, but not everyone in my family likes them. You could try any variations of your favorite vegetables. Make sure to finely chop your veggies.
- Combine cream cheese and ranch packet.
- Spread mixture over pizza crust
- The crust is a bit dry and I would recommend creating a thick layer.
- Sprinkle veggies over cream cheese.
- Garnish with Dill.
- Chill for 2 hours.
To see more recipes from Stella and Jay click here: Recipes
-Stella & Jay